Thursday, March 15, 2012

these boys

sometimes, when I remind myself to stop and just see them for what they are, three boys at various stages of development, I realise how very wonderful they are. Because we really do have it all going on here. A thoughtful and very independant nearly twelve year old, an adventurous and sensitive nine year old and a tornado of a four year old. How can they all be so different?
 The other day was willow's birthday, he was worried that with the baby due to arrive any day that his birthday wouldn't be such a big deal. Needless to say, I kept my legs crossed all day, because although it's cute and quirky to share your birthday with someone you love (arran and I share ours), birthdays really should just be all about you. And, as it turns out, the baby wasn't planning on making an appearance that day anyway. Apparently, it wants to have it's own birthday too.
there are many emotions going on at the moment...I find it important to remind myself that I am not the only one here waiting expectantly to meet this new person. The boys are excited. Fin walks in the door every afternoon and asks me how I am, any signs yet? Willow spends most of his time on planet willow, but sometimes pops in to see how I am, and to give me a little foot rub. And then there's jasper. He's displaying all the signs of a boy who realises his days as the baby are numbered. I really have to watch him at the moment, because things are being sabotaged. The whale is drawn on the wall above his bed, and although the walls really need to be painted, I don't know if I can bring myself to lose it. Other people's belongings have been cut up or hidden as he does his best to wreak havoc on the entire household. Not to mention the fact that he won't let anyone but me do anything for him.
 But I wouldn't have it any other way. I've seen it all before, and I know it will pass. And before we know it, we will be living with at least one teenager and then we'll really be in for it.

5 comments:

Levin said...

I love how kids are all different. Sometimes it's hard to take those difficulties - my youngest and I butt heads constantly. But I know that one day he will grow up and I will admire his determination and strength of spirit. My middle one is also the dreamer and sensitive one. My eldest....well she's just started Uni and that scares me because I am really not that old. Really.
I'm excited to meet your new babe too. I'm excited for your boys because, even though it may be an upheaval, it's also one of life's greatest blessings.
Goodluck over the next few weeks. Those first moments are so precious and fly past so quickly.
L
x

Jodi said...

a teenager and a newborn...I look forward to your stories Emma.

I'm still thinking of you - every day x

Sarah Humphreys said...

A beautiful post. You sound like a very patient, wise, understanding and loving mama with lovely boys!

emma said...

patient, wise and understanding? Ha! I wish!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Goodness I won't show by hubby this post, we have an 11 year old, a 9 year old and a 4 year old and he wants another. Where do you get the energy - I am too tired for another :-( x